“Create a go forward Plan” is the seventh in a blog series that provides a high-level process roadmap for structuring a student services redesign initiative. This process can be applied in all higher education institutions for entire student services organizations or individual departments. To review this blog series from the beginning, click here.
In Phase 6, the goal is to create an implementation plan that is concrete and actionable. A key success factor for executing a student services redesign initiative is to assign an owner to lead implementation. Oversight of the implementation plan should be formalized with performance metrics incorporated into the annual performance review process. Without formalizing this role the student services redesign initiative is at risk for being less of a priority than other day-to-day responsibilities.
Here are three characteristics to look for in selecting an owner for this initiative:
- High potential, rising leader on campus with the ability to get work done
- Strategic thinker with strong organizational skills
- Politically savvy influencer who can build consensus and manage change
If the redesign initiative spans multiple service lines in student services, additional team members may need to be assigned. Identify if work streams require full-time, part-time or ad hoc team members and plan resourcing accordingly.
The go forward plan includes 2 components: a communication strategy and an implementation plan.
Components of a communication strategy
- Goals for communication
- Key messaging
- Audience definition
- Frequency of communication
- Method of communication
- Owner of content development
Implementation plan components:
- Time-bound activities with defined start and end dates
- Assigned owners for each activity
- Stated milestones and performance measures
- Detailed budget and investment requirements
Questions to consider:
- Does it make sense to appoint the project leader who managed the student services redesign planning effort to implement the plan?
- How are change management activities accounted for in the go forward plan?
- In communication planning, how will the implementation team gather ongoing faculty, staff and student feedback about the redesign effort?
Interested in receiving a white paper focused on this student services redesign blog series? Contact me at [email protected].